The Sports Latitudes: New Beginnings Edition
– The Mariners still have a strong interest in trading for Erik Bedard. I’ve also read that Toronto still likes him, and I suppose we can’t completely discount the Reds. Nothing appears close, though, which tells me that nothing’s going to happen before spring training.
– Here’s an interesting article about recently acquired Mike Costanzo. Dig this nugget:
Then, former Phillies general manager Ed Wade, now the Astros’ GM, called Costanzo and told him how much he liked him. But Wade had to part with Costanzo in the deal with the Orioles.
“He told me I was the key part of the trade, that they wouldn’t do it unless I was a part of the deal,” said Costanzo, who plays third base.
– Here’s a short piece on Dave Trembley. Nothing new there, but it’s worth a read.
– Here’s a piece on the O’s prospects. Again, nothing new but worth a look.
– If you haven’t been tracking WNST‘s reaction to the Brian Billick dismissal, you’re missing out. Head on over to the site and read Nestor and Drew‘s latest blog posts. There’s a whopper of a conversation taking place.
If you’re still out there, Drew, I’ve got a question. I heard you insist repeatedly this morning that Ozzie Newsome didn’t want to let Billick go. You refuse, though, to talk at all about your source. I understand you can’t give a name, but it’s simply not enough, journalistically speaking, to just say “trust me, I know.” What kind of source do you have? Are we talking a high-ranking official or just someone with the team? And have you done your due diligence to corroborate the story?
You’re effectively breaking the news that Newsome lied during the press conference and that there’s a high level of dissent within the management group. Those are serious charges that need to be treated seriously.
– Rex Ryan will be interviewing for the vacant spot in Atlanta, in addition to his interview with the Ravens. He’s also been contacted by the Dolphins, but no interview has been scheduled.
– Had enough football drama for awhile? Check out this article about the Dakar Rally. Seriously fascinating stuff, made even more so by the fact that an American has a legit shot this year.